Thai Immigration Lawyer


Visas Available at the airport on Arrival. Visitors from most other countries can obtain a visa at certain international airports. Nationals of some countries are required to obtain visas before arrival.

Thailand Tourist Visas

Tourist Visas. Visitor Transit visas valid for a 60-day stay are routinely available for most nationalities at Thai Embassies and Consulates. The 30 and 60 day visas discussed above do not normally allow the person holding such avisa to work in Thailand except that such a person may apply to the Labor Department for permission to do urgent and essential work for a period of 15 days; or apply for a work permit from the Ministry of Commerce to work for a Representative Office establish in accordance with the Ministry of Commerce regulations.

Non-Immigrant Visas

Non-Immigrant Visas. Person wishing to stay in Thailand for more than 60 days normally should apply for a non-immigrant visa as this type of visa initially allows for a stays of 90 days and an application may be made to extend the stay for up to one, and in some cases, for two years.

The most common type of non-immigrant visas are Categories "B" "BA" and "O". Most businessmen intending to apply for a work permit will apply for a Category B visa and with such a visa he may, once in Thailand, apply for an extension of stay. In some case where the foreigner intends to work for an already established company, it is possible to apply for a Category BA visa, that is, a visa where the extension of stay has already been approved before the businessman arrives. Such visas are issued by Thai Embassies and Consulates only upon instructions from the Immigration authorities in Bangkok. Most businessmen enter with a simple Category B visa and undergo the extension process after arrival.

The other type of non-immigrant visa usually obtained is a Category "O" visa, "O" standing for "other." This visa is used for dependents of a businessman, for those wish to live in with their Thai spouses, for alien children of Thai mothers and for those who wish to live as retired persons in Thailand. While non-immigrant visas are usually available form Thai Embassies and Consulates without the need to present any proof, in applications for a Category B visa, the applicant may occasionally be asked for evidence that he is about to do business in Thailand. In case of an application for a Category O visa there may be a request that the applicant demonstrate that he has the means to live as a retired person or is related to a Thai national. To avoid delays, persons applying for these types of visas may wish to have the proof required available when making the application.